〒 Search

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Attack of the Killer Semi!



I remember hearing a segment on NPR about these giant, noise making insects that crawl out of the ground every year in the DC area. Having never traveled to east during the summer, I was completely unaware that such creatures existed. Listening to people share their experiences on the radio program just was incapable of transmitting the intensity of these prehistoric buzzers− unless, that is, I had been prompted to turn the volume up to distortion.

So, here I am in Japan and I hear this loud buzzing not unlike a security alarm blaring somewhere in the neighborhood. That’s actually what I thought it was. Others unfamiliar with the sound of these insects, imagined it was the power lines. All you can hear is a loud buzzing sound. I finally spotted one of these guys in a tree. It was GARGANTUAN! I’m only guessing here, but I’ve theorized the name semi has been applied to them die to the sound they produce. If one says semi-semi-semi-semi-semi really quickly, I swear it matches up perfectly (my wife thinks I’m nuts, however… ♪semi-semi-semi-semi-semi…♫).

Known as cicadas in the States, they only live for a few days. They come out of the ground to shed their exoskeletons, mate and die. One would think that their hard little bodies would litter the ground but the birds are quick to eat them up. I’m not sure what happens to their exoskeletons but I did see plastic buckets full them in the science display case at school before I knew what they were− I was told the students gathered them as part of a summer break homework assignment. Other than the noise, they’re harmless. I saw one of my students reach of and take one out of a tree. Understandably, it screamed to the top if its lungs (or however they produce their sound). I’m told they don’t bite but they can release an excretion that is rumored to be urine if disturbed.

Honestly, I took a liking to the little guys. Their mating season is only a few weeks of the year. They don’t harm anything and they’re quite amazing, really. If you have never seen one, you’re missing out. The only catch is you have to go to a really muggy place in the summer to see them which could outweigh the benefit for some folks, myself included. I miss them already and they’re not even due to surface yet!

No comments: